WASHINGTON - A massive tornado ripped through parts of Oklahoma city and its suburbs in the United States killing at least 24 people, including nine children, besides leaving scores homeless. As winds at over 320 kilometers per hour (kmph) flattened homes and businesses and severely damaged a hospital and two elementary school, the death toll was earlier said to be more than 90 but it was ...
WASHINGTON - US President Barack Obama praised the reforms of Myanmar leader Thein Sein but urged him to end violence against Muslims. Sein is the country's first president to visit the White House in almost half a century. Speaking from the US capital Monday Obama said he recognized Sein's work to guide Myanmar down "a long and sometimes difficult, but ultimately correct, path to ...
KABUL, Afghanistan - At least six Afghan policemen guarding a strategically important dam were killed in a roadside bombing Tuesday in the war-torn country's western province of Herat, officials said. They said that suspected Taliban insurgents triggered the explosion when a police patrol vehicle heading to Herat city was travelling in the Chashti Shareef district of the province. "There ...
GUATEMALA CITY - The constitutional court of Guatemala has ordered that the genocide trial of former dictator Efrain Rios Montt should be taken back to the middle of proceedings, thus overturning his conviction and sentencing to 80 years in prison. The ruling on Monday doesn't annul the entire trial of the case but the top court has ordered that whatever happened after April 19 should be ...
PYONGYANG - A Chinese boat and 16 fishermen held by armed North Koreans for more than two weeks have been released, easing the latest tension in relations between the neighbouring allies. Owner Yu Xuejun, who was not on board the boat when it was seized on 5 May, wrote on his microblog that his captain called him at 3.50am to say the crew and boat were set free and that they were on their way ...
Shark Night 3D
Snatching the mantle of Worst 3D Shark Movie, which has long been held unchallenged by Jaws 3D (1983), Shark Night supplies some cheesy late-summer tedium in its sloppy mixture of revenge-of-nature thrills and hillbilly horror. Set in and around a large salt water lake de ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has met with Indian leaders in hopes of securing more military aid before international troops leave the country next year. Mr. Karzai held talks with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh late Tuesday in New Delhi, after meeting with Indian President Pranab Mukherjee. The Afghan president is expected to seek India's assistance to help strengthen Afghan ...
REDMOND, WASHINGTON Microsoft Corp gave the world the first look at its new game console on Tuesday, hoping the Xbox One will attract existing video game fans while also becoming a hub for living room entertainment. The third-generation Microsoft console, coming eight years after the Xbox 360, was unveiled by games unit chief Don Mattrick at an event at the software company's campus ...
STATE DEPARTMENT U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is in the Middle East this week for talks to promote an international peace conference on Syria. Russia wants Iran to be part of the process. In this fight for control of Syria, Iran is one of the biggest backers of embattled President Bashar al-Assad. So Russia says Iran should be part of the peace process. "Iran has ...
The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) will file a complaint with the International Court of Justice (ICJ) accusing Nigeria's government of human rights violations, according to spokesman Ango Abdullahi. "What we are doing now is to organize our evidence that would make it possible for us to make a very strong case against the government and its agencies, or up to individuals who may be ...
Reported in the press
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Strand Palace
I've stayed at this central London hotel many times, so was comfortable in telephoning direct for a reservation. It was ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Taiwan SunTaiwan Sun – Online Taiwan News Resource
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Taiwan Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Taiwan news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Taiwan news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Taiwan news, the weather forecast for Taiwan you'll find it all in the Taiwan Sun.
From Taipei to Quernoy, the Taiwan Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Chinese Taipei's Chen Chien-An and Chuang Chih-Yuan upset Hao Shuai and Ma Lin from China to win the men's doubles title at the World Table Tennis Championships here.
Chen and Chuang fought back from one game down to win three in a row but Ma, former Olympic Champion, and Hao Shuai took the fifth before the Chinese Taipei tandem sealed the victory Sunday by taking the sixth 11-8, reports Xinhua.
This was the second event that China failed to win at the World Championships following the mixed doubles and the third title they have lost since the 2003 worlds in Paris.
China cleanswept all five titles from 2005 to 2011 at all World Championships.
- GrubHub and Seamless to merge
- Should You Pre-Chew Your Babys Food
- Senate votes to make small cut to food stamps
- Indigenous Brazilians Learn to Fight for the Right to Food
- STUDY People Eat Bigger Portion Sizes When The Food Is Labeled ‘Healthy’
- Samsungs men are pigs ad for TVs gets YouTube love
- Cannes Weinstein Co. Picks Up Reeves-Witherspoon Space Romance Passengers
- Hollywood Docket Digital Music Class Action Aereokiller Settlement Snoop Lion Lawsuit
- ESPN Begins Hundreds of Layoffs
- ESPNs Cherie Cohen Headed to NBCUniversal to Focus on Cable
- Iran Bars Candidacies of Rafsanjani Ahmadinejad Aide
- Foldable electronics come closer to reality with inkjet-printed graphene
- Newspaper royal charter plans are bizarre says Liberty director
- How Some News Orgs Use Tumblr
- Letter to the Editor Uninformed on renewable energy
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Six Afghan policemen killed in Herat bombing
- Genocide conviction of former Guatemala dictator overturned
- Chinese boat with 16 fishermen freed by North Korea
- Teachers credited with saving students in Okla.
- A Catch For Insurers That Cut Deductibles For Healthy People
- Corrections 11 things to know about bike-share programs
- Nigeria’s $1-billion wealth fund to start investing in June
- TaxWatch Why IRS scandal is good for tax cheats
- Overall economy likely to pick up in Q2 says German central bank
- Beni advises SAIL to take corrective measures to complete projects on time
- Bank mergers could lead to too-big-to-fail entities Chidambaram
- Indigenous culture youth among key topics as UN permanent forum opens 12th session
- Russia needs 3 to 5 years for an efficient economy
- Philippines could face difficult time over remittance reliance
- What to do when you cant back down
- With long road ahead Myanmar cannot yet claim reform success
- Xi Obama meeting coming at right time
- Analysis Some Republicans see new scandal in Sebelius fundraising
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Taiwan Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Military drill aims to protect fishing boats not provoke report
- South fishery protection line not under MOI jurisdiction official
- US urges early release of Manilas shooting report
- DOH considers special clinical service for those affected by toxic starch
- 11 saved 2 still missing after boat catches fire off Mauritius