MANILA -- Advocates for Philippine migrant workers say they are concerned about the effects of a hiring freeze Taiwan's government has put in place against the Philippines. The move came less than a week after a Philippine Coast Guard crew admitted shooting at a Taiwanese vessel, killing a fisherman. Statistics from ...
Taipei, May 16 (CNA) Around 20 Filipino nationals participated in a prayer ceremony in Taipei on Sunday to express their apologies for the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman by the Philippine Coast Guard and also urged people in Taiwan not to discriminate against them. The participants gathered in front of St. Christopher's Church and stood in silent tribute to the late Taiwanese fisherman ...
Taipei, May 19 (CNA) A group of Taiwanese students launched a campaign on Sunday to show support for Filipino workers in Taiwan amid growing tensions between the two countries over the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman on May 9. The students held posters and placards during a rally outside a Taipei church where migrant workers from ...
InterAksyon.com The online news portal of TV5 TAIPEI - Taiwan Sunday repeated calls for a joint investigation into the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman by Philippine coastguards, an incident which has ignited a major diplomatic dispute. A team of Taiwanese investigators returned to the island Saturday, accusing the Philippine government of failing to honor its agreement to conduct a joint ...
Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO MANILA, Philippines -- Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago warned on Sunday that injuries sustained by overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from Taiwanese attackers could be considered "an act of aggression" that could serve as basis for the fold-up of the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) in Taipei. "The 87,000 overseas ...
It's been six years since James Bond drew his Walter PB-K on the silver screen, and since that time there has been such a drastic change in the state of the world that one is forced to ask the question: "Is there room in the 90's for 007?" In today's post-Cold War politically correct environment, James Bond does not seem to have a comfortable niche. As the new female M tells him to his face, "Mr. ... ...
Boracay Photo by Don Lejano/INQUIRER.net ILOILO CITY, Philippines -- Hotels and resorts on Boracay Island have been reeling from the cancellation of bookings of Taiwanese tourists amid the diplomatic row following the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman by Filipino coast guards, according to travel operators. Henry Chusuey, chair of the Boracay Foundation Inc. (BFI), said several resorts catering ...
Taipei, May 19 (CNA) A stationary front that has drenched the southern part of Taiwan over the past three days is expected to bring further downpours across the country until Thursday, the Central Weather Bureau (CWB) said Sunday. The mountainous Taoyuan District in the southern city of Kaohsiung had received 212 millimeters of rain between midnight Saturday and 5 p.m. Sunday and 423mm of rain ...
China since the beginning of this year. While Chinese customs data showed substantial growth in cross-Taiwan Strait trade in the first four months of the year, Taiwan's official figures pointed to almost zero growth during the same period. According ...
Philippines has not affected their relationships with their Filipino workers, and they did not think the spat would deter them from hiring Filipinos in the future. "They come to work and get off work as usual, and we pay them as we should. I tell them there is nothing to worry about," K. R. Lin, owner of a marble factory in Hualien and chairman of the Taiwan Marble Association, told ...
Cannes, France, May 18 (CNA) Taiwan held an event at the Cannes Film Festival on Saturday to promote the country's films, with the attendance of director Ang Lee one of the highlights of the evening. Taiwan's representative to France Michel Lu opened the annual "Taiwan Cinema Party" with a short hand puppet performance about Taiwanese movies and the Cannes Film Festival. The ...
Reported in the press
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Turtle Bay Resort
This 4 star resort is located on the top of Oahu on the North Shore, and is one of Hawaii's ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Taiwan SunTaiwan Sun – Online Taiwan News Resource
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Taiwan Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Taiwan news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Taiwan news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Taiwan news, the weather forecast for Taiwan you'll find it all in the Taiwan Sun.
From Taipei to Quernoy, the Taiwan Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
A Taiwanese F-16 fighter jet crashed in waters near Chiayi county Wednesday, according to media reports.
The pilot managed to eject from the craft before it crashed and was later rescued. He suffered minor injuries, reports Xinhua.
An engine malfunction may have caused the crash, which occurred during a routine training mission.
- Rahul Gandhi criticises opposition for stalling Food Bill
- Giant Renaissance Food People Descend Upon New York
- EU ridiculed for banning olive oil jugs from restaurants
- Food courts NEA join hands to encourage tray return habit
- Tejas Grill boasts food with flair in Corpus Christi
- Luc Bessons EuropaCorp Chinas Fundamental to Co-Produce Transporter Films
- DreamWorks Studios Signs Additional Foreign Output Deals
- Cannes QED China’s Huayi Brothers Form Co-Production Partnership
- Cannes U.K. Sales Banner Moviehouse Entertainment Shops Animation The Hero of Color City
- Cannes Weinsteins Radius Nabs Blue Ruin
- Sharif-Kayani meeting is good for Pakistan paper
- Mancini says goodbye to Man City fans with full-page thankful paper ad
- David Cameron goes to war with newspapers over swivel-eyed loons slur
- Abuse of women and children – even nice guys are guilty of looking away
- Newsnight needs less of the night more of the news
- Missile launched from North Korea
- Iraq seeing more violence
- Mobile phones can be tracked says US judge
- Sex assaults convince top general to take action
- Bhubaneshwar hosts rock concert to preserve heritage art
- Would a rapid rescore help you get a mortgage
- 5 excuses why people dont save for retirement
- Who can help me get a fair deal on vacant land
- Slide Show 10 countries where people fear for their safety
- Personal Finance Expert Casey Bond Answers Reader Question How Much Should I Save Each Year
- Syrian Electronic Army hacks Financial Times Twitter sites
- 150 UK financial advisers arrive in Abu Dhabi for Openworks major incentive
- Sir Mervyn King dont demonise bankers
- Amir of Qatar meets Indian Finance Minister
- Bank of Englands King sends message to successor Carney
- Bring back English schools
- All eyes on Najib’s new Cabinet
- No bridge over troubled waters
- Surgery needs pause for thought
- Election in Pakistan reverberates widely through tough history
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Taiwan Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Philippine Workers in Taiwan Feel Backlash
- Filipinos in Taipei pray for deceased fisherman
- Despite row Taiwanese students show support for Filipino workers
- Taiwan seeks joint investigation into fishermans death
- Santiago Harassment of Filipinos in Taiwan may warrant MECO abolition